St. Christopher House, 1912-2012: a century of social services in Toronto

In 1913, the Presbyterian Church purchased a farm with frontage on Lake Scugog. Tents with wooden floors housed the fifty children and mothers who came each year for a two week stay at the camp. Later, the Canadian Pacific Railway would add a new station to its route to accommodate the camp. The old farmhouse was used for the kitchen, meeting space and housing for the staff. The campers entertained themselves by swiming or boating on the shallow waters of the lake, or hiking in the farms in the area. Rainy days were spent in an old mill on the property. For the children of the poor neighbourhoods, life in the summer camp was a drastic change from the crowded, unsanitary, and noisy conditions of downtown Toronto.

← Previous Page Next Page →