St. Christopher House, 1912-2012: a century of social services in Toronto

Volunteers renovate Older Adult Centre

In 1980, as part of Bell Canada’s Centennial, fifty Bell employees volunteered their time to replace the gym floor of the Older Adult Centre at the Queen Street United Church. The Centre re-opened in 1981 with an official ceremony attended by the Mayor of Toronto, Art Eggleton. The next year, a fire caused extensive damage to the facilities, but within four months the building was once again operational.

The Elder Abuse Program

In 1992, the Older Adult Centre, in partnership with the Portuguese Women 55+ Support Group of Ontario, introduced an Elder Abuse public awareness and prevention program. It focused on raising awareness of abuse and neglect of older persons to the English, Portuguese and Vietnamese-speaking seniors of the House. The program offered support groups for victims of abuse and trained participants to provide peer support.

In 1995, the Older Adult Centre (later called the Elderly Person Centre) moved from its previous location in the old Queen Street United Church to new main St. Christopher House on 248 Ossington Avenue.

← Previous Page Next Page →